Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Bee in my Bonnet Row Along - Row 4!!!...


Good morning my row along peeps!
Have you been waiting for row four?
Well here it is and I hope you like it because I had so much fun designing it and then picking the fabric and then stitching it up.
I love every step of making a quilt...
don't you?


It's apple picking season around here so I thought it was time for a cute row of apples:)...
and a few apple cores too!
(after all...you have to eat a few while you pick!)


It's time to "pick" a few apples from your stash!

I cut five apples in different shades of red...
Along with one Granny Smith (green)...
One Golden Delicious (yellow)...
and one Pink Lady (my favorite kind of apple)



My background fabric...

Okay...
 I'm all cut...let's make some apples!



Easy Corner Triangles -
You all know the drill by now...
 Place a square onto each corner of the apples and stitch from corner to corner.
Mark each of them first...or use the Angler 2.
Chain stitch for quick results:)



Trim off excess...leaving an approximate 1/4"seam allowance...


And press seam allowance towards the triangles.
Each apple should still measure the same...
but have a triangle in each corner:)


Set aside and move onto the leaves.


Trim...


Press and set aside.
Each leaf should 
 have 2 easy corner triangles. 
Now onto stems!


Stitch the brown strip onto the top of the  background strip and press the seam allowance towards the brown.



Measure in from the edge of your ruler...making sure all lines are straight...and cut.



Continue cutting...
each time checking to make sure all seam lines are straight with the lines on the ruler.
 (you will have some fabric leftover)


Sew a leaf onto the left side of each stem as pictured.
Press the seam allowance towards the stem.



Decide which leaf goes with which apple...


And stitch them on....press seam allowance towards the apple.
YAY!
Your apple blocks are complete:)
GOOD JOB!



Now for the apple core blocks.


Stitch a square from corner to corner
 onto each end of the apple core top and bottom... 


and also cores.
Trim and press the seam allowance towards the triangle 
on the apple pieces only...


I decided after I had pressed the seam allowance towards the triangle on the core pieces...that the block would lay flat and seams would line up better if I re-pressed the seam allowance towards the core fabrics.



Sew the remaining white rectangles to each side of the remaining stem segments.
Press the seam allowance towards the stem. 



Here you can see how the block will go together. 



Start by joining the apple tops to a core top...and the apple bottoms to a core bottom... like this.


Press these seam allowances OPEN for less bulk.


Now join the cores together in the middle.
Press this seam open as well.

Now go ahead and stitch the stems to the apple cores.



Press this seam allowance towards the apple top.


YAY!!
3 cute apple core blocks complete.



Apple cuteness:-)


Time to sew them into a row!



As you stitch the sashing in between the blocks...make sure that you don't cut off the points on each side of the apple core blocks.


Add your background strips 
onto each side and trim up!

Cut fabric strips just like
 I explained in Row 2.


And now we have 4 rows!!!
Again...DO NOT stitch the rows together until all of the rows are complete.
We are not sewing them in the order that they will go in the quilt:)

Tell me what you think about todays lesson...do you like row 4?
I hoped that you would the entire time that I was designing it...and I'd love to know:)

Don't forget to post your finished rows onto the
they are all so inspiring for me as well as others in the row along.


Have an apple pickin' quilty kind of day:)
xx
Lori

***edit July 2013
The pattern and instructions for the apples
 and the other rows in my 
BIMB Row Along Quilt are in my new book
"Quilty Fun"

to reserve a copy today




60 comments:

Angela Hipp said...

Its so great!!!! Thanks for the tutroial and the wonderful images!!!!
My kindest regards to you from Angela

Darlene D said...

I love them!! Running my fabrics through my head to decide which would be best for apples!

trish said...

cute cute cute!
i can not wait
to get started!!

Lynn said...

I sneaked a lot at your blog before going to bed to see if Block 4 was up.(It is 11.45pm Wednesday night here) I have been waiting impatiently for it since finishing the little butterflies. Such cute little apples. I have the fabrics ready to start making apples in the morning. Can't wait.

Thearica said...

Love those apple blocks!

Bev said...

How adorable! I love them! Can't wait to have the time to make them!

Cheery wave from
Bev

Kathleen said...

I'm not doing the row-along, but love watching your progress, and these apples are my favourite so far. Love the apple cores! I think a whole quilt of these apples would be amazing :) Great tutorial too X

Michelle said...

Lovin' this apple row! I can't wait to get started on it. Thank you for putting this Row Along together. It has been so much fun!

Shelly said...

Your apples, our apples, my apples are just darling! Thank you so much for offering this to us and I'm so glad you have done all of those figures for us....Great design, wonderful pictures. LOVE them.

Tiffaney said...

The are sew adorable! I can't wait to make my row.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Cutest row yet Lori, if that is possible!! They are all adorable.

barncat (Lisa) said...

Apples! I love them! I've been anxiously awaiting for the next row, can't wait to start this afternoon. :)

KaHolly said...

Fun, fun, fun!! Thanks so much! ~karen

TJ said...

I love it!

dream quilt create said...

I love the apples and apple cores, they are delicious! This row along is so much fun!!

•stephanie• said...

here's the deal:
i could hardly sleep last night.
the apples are fabulous, but the cores!
holy adorableness.
i hope no one around here needs meals or clean clothes today.
i have plans!

Rita said...

this is just too dawgone cute -- thank you so much for sharing with all of us. you are so generous and talented. love everything about this row-along!

Bailey said...

Really really cute! Thank you for designing them, they make my heart smile

PamKittyMorning said...

Holy cow that's so cute!!!! Seriously darling. Love the apples and leaves and super love the apple cores. You're so clever.

xo

Anjeanette said...

Seriously! Those apple cores are so adorable!!!!! So so cute. Thanks so much for your awesome row along and these apples are just the best!

Anonymous said...

OK! That does it!! I'm starting on this Row Along today. I've got a good stash of Lori Holt fabric waiting for this quilt. Perfect!!

gilly said...

Ooh, I love them apples!! They're gorgeous - can't wait to get started on Row 4 :-)
xx

Colleen said...

So absolutely adorable. I am making them today!!!!!!

Eliana Zerbinatti... said...

Oh, I loved it! They are beautiful and definitely an inspiration. I would put the pictures of my lines today, but I chose the wrong colors and I have to redo (are pastels, very, very romantic).
I loved the apples.Can not wait to do them.

Bari Jo said...

These apples are so cute!!! Thank you so much! :O)

Becky S. said...

The apples are adorable!!! I always love your choice of fabrics.

Mary said...

Apple Picking will be fun and easy. Thanks for another great row!

Nicola said...

Oh, those apple cores! Fippin' blimmin' genius!!

Nicola said...

Oh, those apple cores: genius! x

verykerryberry said...

Goodness, that row of apples and cores is so achingly lovely!

Kim with a K said...

Love this row!
Apples and cores and so cute and delish!
I'm having so much fun with your row a long, thank you!

Denise E. said...

I can no longer resist. If I start rowing now, think I can catch up? Sooooo cute!

Jacque T said...

Dang,this is adorable!!! Can't wait to try it!!!

Gigi's Thimble said...

It's looking so good, Lori! Those little cores are so cute and so clever!!!

Amber

Denise said...

Oh my goodness these are the cutest blocks! I love them!

Denise said...

Oh my goodness these are the cutest blocks! I love them!

tubakk said...

So really cute blocks! But I won't be ready to sew before sunday. Thank you so much.

Rindy said...

Love! Love! Love!
You've done a good job. This quilt is going to be FANTASTIC!
Thanks.

Chase said...

Thanks!! This is great so sweet! I am going to make some of these.. .. :)

Quilting with Kinsey said...

I can't stand it. This is so cute I simply must participate! Will have to quickly get fabric and start quickly sewing so I can catch up!

Michelle said...

These are so so sooooo adorable! I can't wait to start.

Jenny Bonynge said...

OMG!!! I decided to print out the instructions for this 4th row and ended up with 35 colored pages!!! Live and learn...I do LOVE this project, thanks for the detailed directions.

qltmom9 said...

I forgot to post...RAN to pick out my fabrics. I need to find two more apple-y prints, but I think my apples are ADORABLE and I WILL be making more apples after this quilt. Thank you.~

Material Mary said...

Lori,
I am amazed at your designing. This is the most yummy row...can't wait to make it up. Fun project...thanks for doing this!!
Mary

tasha said...

the apples are so cute! love them!

Anonymous said...

Every time I see a new row I think I need to join in. This one has almost pushed me over the edge. Adorable!

Ellen

Stacey said...

OMG I have been try so hard not to do this quilt-a-long because I have so many other UFO's....but I am going to have to cave....those apples are too cute :)

Mama Bell said...

I have wanted to do the row along quilt, but figured I was just too busy with other things. . .THEN. . .the apples!! This row tipped me right over the edge and I have now completed the first three rows and I will start the apples today! Thanks for your detailed pictures and wonderful tips. I have been a quilter for 12 years, but have learned several great tips from you. Thanks again for letting us in on the fun of your ward quilting class!

Litamora's Quilt & Design said...

Wow! It looks great!

Stitched With Prayer said...

Hi Lori! I was just wondering how long this QAL will remain available on your blog. I have not been able to sew lately due to some (somewhat serious) heath issues...but I'm hoping to be able to start trying to work on it as soon as I can get back to my sewing room. I love the bright, fun, cheerful designs and fabric choices and hope that if will remain available for a very long time. Thank you for sharing your talents so generously with those of us who are not so creative, Hugzzzz

Esther said...

Oh my goodness those apples are too cute. I may just have to start this QAL. Your tutorials are wonderful, I have visited often, but I guess it took those cute apples to get me to comment. Thank you for your great ideas and tutorials. Love your blog

leeanne said...

Hi Lori
I never see any threads!! Do you cut them off as you go? Tx

amy smart said...

Those apples are the CUTEST thing ever, Lori!!

Julie C said...

I just found your row along through another blog (can't remember whose). It's adorable! I have some catching up to do! Thanks for the great tutorials and pattern! ~Julie

Kathy said...

I am just hoping on board with your rows all because I can't wait to see this adorablness in my home...I don't know whats more fun choosing the fabrics or seeing the apple appear before my sewing machine...Thank You for such a fun tutorial...

happy zombie said...

I love this so much I could cry!! I saw Sherri instagraming her rows and I fell instantly in love!!! I didn't even know at the time it was YOUR along! I NEED TO GET OUT MORE!! I should have known it was your along, it had your signature cuteness and awesomeness written all over it!

I am SOOOOO jumping on board and I don't care that I have a ton of other things to do! Gonna make me a gone fishin' sign… gone Bee in my Bonnet rowalongin'!

Anita said...

I just loved making row#4! Cutest so far, and I even added my own little detail to an apple core.
All my rows are posted on Flickr.

Annie said...

I just finished my apple row! I love it!! I'll post photos in the flickr group tomorrow. Thank you!!

karen said...

I am so enjoying this row along project! This is the first time I've tried something like this, on the internet. Your instructions are amazing!

Anne's House said...

I LOVE this row! I'm just finishing it today. This is the most darling project I've ever done! THANK YOU! HUGS!

Related Posts with Thumbnails