Sunday, November 17, 2013

Layer Cake Lemonade Quilt - and a Leftover!!!...


Kassidy and I sewed up the adorable new free quilt pattern... 
 by It's Sew Emma
during our "sew night with Kass" 
a few nights ago.



We used Riley Blake 10" stackers for our 
Layer Cake Lemonade quilt.
(Sidewalks - by October Afternoon)

Riley Blake 10" stackers 
are the same as a layer cake ...
meaning they are both precut 10" squares.

Each of the Sidewalks stackers
 have 21 squares so we used 2 stackers.


It took Kass and I only 2 hours to complete the top!
YaY!!!

Kimberly has a great video tutorial 
for the Layer Cake Lemonade Quilt
 on the
 Fat Quarter Shop Youtube channel as
 part of their Shortcut Quilt Series.

to go see it for yourself:)



Yesterday my friend Kathy 
quilted a pretty overall rose pattern on the quilt.
(thanks Kathy:)


And I bound it last night:)


Kass and I made the quilt for Sophie.
As you know ...
she is my cutie pie granddaughter:)

  I love to make matching things
 for her and her dolls.


And of course
this project was no exception!

So from the leftovers
 after piecing the 
Layer Cake Lemonade quilt ...



We easily cut 30 - 4 1/2" squares.


This is all we had left from the forty 
 10" squares that we started out with!

Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do…
Or do without!



The 30 squares became a 
quick and easy doll quilt:)

Fun!
Besides... who doesn't like leftovers
 from layer cake?
You shouldn't let 
one sweet crumb go to waste:)



Mr.Vintage Sock Monkey 
 had a quilty wrap up in the cradle:)



I'm sure that Sophie Belle will adore 
her new
Layer Cake Lemonade quilt ...


as well as the one for Dolly:)



Have a quilty kind of day!
xx
Lori

23 comments:

MaryBeth said...

Very cute quilt. Thanks for the link to the tutorial, but I couldn't find a link to the "free pattern" she referred to. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jean said...

I love this quilt. Always looking for fun quilts to make using precuts. Thank you!

Sigrid said...

I just LOVE this pattern too. I still haven't made anything with my Gracie Girl Stash. They are just such large beautiful prints that I hate to cut them up into small pieces. Every time I see a pattern that uses larger block patterns I say - this is the pattern for my Gracie Girl Fabric. (Maybe I need to buy more Gracie Girl Fabric).

Julie said...

What a fun post! Love the quilts and the matching doll outfit. So sweet.

Sewn With Grace said...

I love this Lori! Both are so cute and it's wonderful that the two of you made it together!

Lorna McMahon said...

Gorgeous quilts both large and small! Same goes for those two sweet girls! Thanks for sharing, Lori!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet pretty quilt for a sweet granddaughter (and her dolly). This quilt pattern seems simple enough for even me to make, will have to give it a try :) Thanks for sharing.

Mary

ozjane said...

Great work and before I think I have to purchase a layer cake I make a mental note to remind myself that I am able to cut out 10" squares.

phyllis said...

Lori--Thanks for sharing this darling blog about the little doll quilt and the matching aprons for Sophie and her dolly. I love sewing for the 18" dolls, and your fabric choices are always perfect. As a 'collector' of scrapbook paper, I'm familiar with the beautiful designs from October Afternoon, and they adapt so well to fabric. Thanks for the ideas! Phyllis

dream quilt create said...

How precious! What beautiful girls you have :)

Pam said...

Many thanks for the heads up about this quilt. I have just the layer cake in my stash. I will not print the pattern out, it is as easy as pie. My granddaughter will love it. I will have to find a boy fabric layer cake for Junior.

Nedra said...

Look how big that cute Sophie has gotten. I really think she continues to look just like you. Looks like a fun quilt to teach beginning skills.

lilyrose said...

The quilts are super cute! But I absolutely LOVE the adorable aprons you made for your granddaughter and her doll! Do you have a pattern for those? I have some Bake Sale fabric and five little granddaughters that would LOVE their own aprons!
I think it's great that you and your daughter sew together. :)

carolann said...

I have some gorgeous flannels, think this pattern will be perfect!

Sandy said...

Such a fun pattern. My granddaughter and I could whip that one up easily also. Thanks for sharing.

Quilt Fabric Pizazz said...

Love your choice of fabric. Perfect. Did you machine quilt it yourself? Adorable to put the dolly quilt with it.

Shannon @ Modern Tradition Quilts said...

Nice project! I love your colors.

Helen L said...

Sweet quilts, but Holy Cow!! Look at that hair on Cassidy!!! Lovely, and enough for 3 people!! :-) Have a great day!! H in Healdsburg

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Love the quilt (as well as the 'mini')! Thanks for sharing the link :)

Jeneta said...

Beautiful! What is the name of the lovely fabric you used to back the quilts? I love it!!

Patricia Lessell said...

Love the quilt. Just wanted to say you don't look old enough to be a grandma!!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like Summertime in a quilt. Can't wait to make one

Rosie said...

Looks like Summertime in a quilt. Can't wait to make one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails