Thursday, November 21, 2013

Mod Podge Guitar Tutorial!!! ...



Are you wondering why Kass is playing 
a guitar 
that looks like its manufactured
 using our
Gracie Girl Collection???

Read on to find out:)



Back when my daughter Kassidy Grace and I
 were playing with our Gracie Girl pre-yardage...



and having fun making several new quilts...



we knew that we would be doing a guitar quilt for her room.



That quilt turned in to this pattern called





We loved the colorful fabric guitars so much...
She wanted to have a real guitar made out of Gracie Girl:)
And I said
I can make that happen!

(Ben and Sophie fishing)

I gave my oldest son Ben a call...
(who is an awesome guitarist BTW)
When he was growing up
he went to every thrift shop
 within a hundred mile radius with me…
while I searched for treasures:)



So I knew he could help me find what I needed...
 an acoustic guitar that needed
a little love but with "good bones"



Even though I LOVE to go thrifting…
I really didn't have time that week.
(too busy getting ready for quilt market)
and I knew that if there was one to be found…
he had the skills to find it for me:)




I was so happy when he brought this good old Fender acoustic over…
the very same day that I asked him!
(he is so good to me!)
He had found it in a thrift shop near his home
on his way home from work:)


Mr. Honey cleaned it up and removed 
all of the hardware for us
and he taped a piece of paper
 on the inside to protect it.



He sprayed a good coat of KILZ primer...
so there was no sanding
 of any kind necessary.
YaY!
(Love me some KILZ)



Then he hung it from a ceiling hook in Kassidy's room to dry overnight.


I painted the guitar with BEHR 
paint from Home Depot.

"Embellished Blue 510D-4"
Which is BTW
 the same color that I painted 
my piano a few years ago:)


I just brushed the paint on ...
using a few good small brushes that I like to use for
 small thrifted treasures and for getting into small areas.
(I left the very front of the guitar where the fabric would go unpainted)



We used this kind of Mod Podge…


Sponge brushes...




and a 3 1/2" 
Gracie Girl 
Bitty Stacker.



After we Mod Podged...
we hung it to dry on the same ceiling hook:)



If you have never used Mod Podge before
you can click here to find out
 everything you need to know:)


We started in the center where I
 drew a 3 1/2" square just to
 keep things straight.
We overlapped the edges of the squares a bit.

 I trimmed off the fabric hanging off
 of the sides so that it was
 even with the guitar top edge.
I used small sharp embroidery scissors.

 We finished by brushing a coat of
 Mod Podge on the surface of
 all the fabric pieces.





 Mr. Honey replaced all of the hardware and restrung it:)
  




And now we have a real Gracie Girl guitar…


to match the quilt!!!















We had a lot of fun doing this project together.
That's what crafting is all about…right?

F.U.N.

Isn't it amazing what a little paint and glue can create?
I grew up using Mod Podge and I still use it a lot to this day.


  I guess I've never out grown the
 desire to play with
 glue and scissors.


I hope this tutorial gives you an idea or two!
xx
Lori


25 comments:

Nedra said...

I had an opportunity to see your Gracie Girl Guitar up close and personal at Market in Houston. So cute! You always come up with the most clever of ideas.

Kimberly said...

So fantastic! Thanks for your inspiring ideas!

Bev said...

Your daughter is GORGEOUS and you have a pup like my little shih tzu, Charlie. Black and white. Love everything you do!

Cheery wave from
Bev

Sam I Am...... said...

Your daughter is so pretty and she looks really great with that spruced up guitar! iI don't have a guitar but I do have a lot of "surfaces"...the ideas are coming fast and furious! Thank you!

Nelly Kelly said...

Should you ever find yourself with a burning desire to adopt a 40-year-old woman, I'd like to volunteer... you are such an amazing mom! I won't hold my breath for such a strange hankering to overcome you... I'll just keep being inspired by your amazing ideas! Thanks for another one- don't you just love Mod Podge? I even love the name!

Robin Quilts, etc. said...

Do you know if painting and adding the painting changes the sound that the guitar makes? I have several Ukulele's and would love to give this a try but I'm afraid to ruin the uke but love what you've done.

Robin Quilts, etc. said...

Do you know if the changes the quality of how the guitar sounds? I would love to do this to my ukulele but I'm a little worried about ruining it.

lilyrose said...

That is one really cool looking guitar! Your daughter is a beauty! I bet she'll grow up to be talented just like her mom!

Brenda said...

very fun! did the decoration alter the sound of the guitar?

Pam in IL said...

I live your creativity!! That guitar is awesome & might even encourage me to pick mine up again :)

KeyQuilter said...

Cute puppy! DARLING daughter!

Jenny Bonynge said...

How fun! You are SO creative in finding ways to color-up the world! Darling daughter, great mom!

Andee said...

The guitar looks great!

Unknown said...

Hello Lori! My name is Katy and I'm the social media coordinator for KILZ brand products. Awesome job on your daughter's mod podge guitar! We are glad our KILZ Original aerosol primer provided a good base coat for your paint and fabric. We would love for you to share your experience by writing a review. Visit the product page, select "Write a Review" in the upper right-hand corner, rate and write a brief description and hit submit - it's that simple! We appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

Kim Lundstrom said...

How adorable is that daughter of yours!?!! If you ever want to give her up I'd be happy to adopt her!

Thanks for sharing your talent, inspiration and family!

Kim Lundstrom
Marine on St Croix, MN

Art and Sand said...

Cute, cute, cute.

Michelle said...

Lori- you are so amazing. I just got Quilty Fun and I can't wait to start a project. Were you this super creative as a kid also? Love your blog.

Cindy said...

This is just toooo cute!! You are so creative- love your inspiration!:)

Lis Green said...

Hi Lori, I just love all your projects. The colors are so happy and you are simply amazing!! Your daughter is beautiful and by the way, your little granddaughter looks like you too! I bought Quilty Fun and since I am brand new to quilting I have no stash. So I've been buying up pieces of your fabric wherever I can find it, e-Bay, Fat Quarter, etc and it is so fun. Now I need to start quilting! I hope I meet you someday in the Sandy-Draper area.

Vintage said...

Wow! Amazing!

Carla said...

Now that is one special guitar. What girl wouldn't want one like that. And Kass is a gorgeous young lady. I'm sure you've never heard that before. ;o) Love the quilt!

Krissy said...

I don't know what's cuter, the guitar blocks themselves or the matching real guitar!

Live Well With Judi said...

Lori...I love the guitar and what you've done..it's all so darling. But that little gal of yours is a true beauty. Hide her away until she's 30!! Miss seeing you...it's been a long time! Hugs

Cecelia said...

Love your painted piano and guitar! Well, I love all the furniture you paint!

Lynn Hasty said...

Love this. Was looking for things to do with my old Fender!
xo
Lynn

Related Posts with Thumbnails